Hello there! this time I will show you how you can create a smart TV from an old obsolete mobile phone, just laying in the cupboard.
Note: Your old smartphone needs to have a MHL support, please check it in STEP 1 & Resources section at the end of this post, before continuing with below!
– Old Andorid smartphone supporting usb OTG/MHL (Sony Xperia Z1 Compact in my case)
– Mobile charger
– Micro USB to HDMI Adapter– [€8,19] – buy
– HDMI cable for TV – 1,5m – [€1,88] – buy
– Any bluetooth keyboard/mouse (*optional) – [€3,79] – buy similar
Total prize: €13,86
– The price above showing the totals if you don’t have anything lying at home (except old phone)
– Prices may differ, above showing the prices in the time of my order
STEP 1: VERIFY IF YOU PHONE SUPPORT MHL
You can easily check if you old mobile phone support MHL on below page:
If you found your device there, you can continue with ordering the parts above.
STEP 2: CONNECT YOUR MOBILE VIA MHL CABLE
If your phone support MHL, you can connect all together. Mobile charger will go into the MHL adapter, HDMI will be connected to MHL adapter and TV input and lastly micro HDMI of the MHL adapter will go into the phone.
STEP 3: CONNECT BT KEYBOARD/MOUSE
This is optional step, but if you are having any BT keyboard laying around, it’s good to have that connected to the phone. Then you can easily operate the phone from your couch!
STEP 4: ENJOY YOUR (NEW) SMART TV!